Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"Back to Brady Park..."

Albert and I attended the Smithson Reunion which was held Friday through Sunday this last weekend. It has been over ten years since I last attended this reunion and this year the family celebrated 30 years holding the reunion at Brady Park (near Vernon, AZ). It was good to see those who I haven't seen in a long time and introduce Albert to the family. My brother and his family were able to attend as well, and surprisingly my sister flew in for the occasion! After quite a long drive, we arrived late Friday evening to a campsite drenched in rain. Needless to say we couldn't set up the tents, so we drove back to Vernon to stay at my Grandma's house. Saturday morning we headed back up the mountain and arrived in time for the biscuit and gravy breakfast. After breakfast they set up the tents and we took family pictures. We spent most of the afternoon playing card/dice games (e.g. Canasta, Farkle, Scum) and riding ATVs. My brother's oldest daughter spent most of her time hunting for bugs and frogs in and around the pond. That evening we enjoyed the traditional Navajo Taco Dinner (they just taste better when you're camping)! Albert and I spent the night back at Grandma's house, and drove back to Brady Park Sunday morning. Unfortunately during the night another storm swept through and one of the tents leaked soaking my sister and my nephew's sleeping bags. We spent the morning packing up camp after which we attended the family memory meeting. Rufus really enjoyed being outdoors which is encouraging as Albert and I would like to go camping more often.Again, despite all the rain we were still able to salvage another fantastic weekend!

No comments: